Connecting to a Smartphone with Bluetooth and Making Phone Calls
Step by step tutorial how to pair and connect with Bluetooth a device with Tizen:Common to a smartphone, and after that to make a phone call using Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (HFP).
- Device with Tizen:Common such as MinnowMax, Intel NUC, HummingBoard, RaspberryPi 2, etc.
- Bluetooth USB dongle (compatible with GNU/Linux distributions)
- Smartphone with Bluetooth capabilities (tested on Samsung Z1 with Tizen 2.3 and Samsung Note 3 Neo with Android 4.4.2)
Python packages, bluez5, ofono, and ofono-test are required to pair Tizen:Common device with a smartphone and to make a phone call. Bluez5 is included by default in Tizen:Common but you need to install the other packages.
Using Tizen on Yocto images
Edit local.conf and append the following line to build and include the required utilities:
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " ofono ofono-test "
Using GBS images
Run the following commands as root:
zypper install ofono ofono-test
Bluetooth device pairing
Follow the step by step instructions to connect device with Tizen:Common (or another Tizen 3 profile) to a smartphone over Bluetooth:
- Turn on Bluetooth on the smartphone and make it visible for other devices
- Plug the Bluetooth USB dongle into the device with Tizen:Common
Verify that the Bluetooth USB dongle is detected:
- Bring up the Bluetooth USB dongle:
rfkill unblock bluetooth hciconfig hci0 up
- Start bluetoothctl:
- Power on the Bluetooth controller:
[bluetooth]# power on
- Enable the agent and set it as default:
[bluetooth]# agent on [bluetooth]# default-agent
- Set the Bluetooth controller as discoverable for 3 minutes and pairable:
[bluetooth]# discoverable on [bluetooth]# pairable on
- Scan for other device to retrieve the smartphone:
[bluetooth]# scan on
- Find out the MAC address of the smartphone:
- Pair with the smartphone:
[bluetooth]# pair smartphone_mac_address
- Enter 4 digit PIN if prompted. Enter the same PIN on the smartphone.
[agent]PIN code: ####
- Allow the service authorization if requested.
[agent]Authorize service service_uuid (yes/no): yes
- Trust the smartphone:
[bluetooth]# trust smartphone_mac_address
- Connect to the smartphone:
[bluetooth]# connect smarphone_mac_address
- Verify that the smartphone is successfully connected and display information about it with the following command:
[bluetooth]# info smarphone_mac_address
- The device has been successfully paired with the smartphone and you now can exit bluetoothctrl:
Making phone calls
After pairing the device with Tizen:Common (or another Tizen 3 profile) to a smartphone you can initiate phone calls from the device using a python script provided by ofono:
- Login as root
- Replace phone_number with the corresponding number that you would like to dial and execute the following command: