« back to Application Development
In alphabetical order:
2016-03: The Atomic Game Engine goes Open Source!
- Website: http://atomicgameengine.com/
The web runtime of Tizen 3.0
2013-12: Crosswalk Runtime Overview
2013-12: Introducing Crosswalk: the new way to publish to Android - Demo
2014-03: Crosswalk: The New HTML5 Application Runtime
2014-04: What is Crosswalk and how you can use it with Intel XDK
2014-08: Using Crosswalk screen APIs
2015-10: Introducing Crosswalk Game Mode: Optimizations for HTML5 Games
- Website: https://crosswalk-project.org/
- Github: https://github.com/crosswalk-project/crosswalk-tizen
- Intel XDK: http://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/tools
2013-05: YoYo Games announces that GameMaker: Studio will support publishing to the Tizen Store and other Tizen-based platforms in time for launch later this year. With GameMaker: Studio for Tizen, developers will be able to export their newly-created and pre-existing games as a Tizen Store-ready application from a single code base and at the touch of a button. Games can be exported from GameMaker: Studio to run natively or as HTML5 applications.
2013-05: GameMaker Studio’s Upcoming Module – Tizen
2013-09: GameMaker: Studio’s Tizen export is available now to users of GameMaker: Studio Professional and Master Collection which allows them to create games and then export them to the Tizen platform at no additional cost.
2013-11: Porting your game to Tizen
- Website: http://www.yoyogames.com/
- Tizen Forum: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?s=132c58b378dda390c34b9edc32b7fceb&showforum=137
- Knowledge Base: http://help.yoyogames.com/forums/22386077-Tizen
2013-05: GameSalad Inc., which enables game developers to quickly create and publish sophisticated iOS, Android and HTML5 games, announced support for Tizen.
2013-11: GameSalad and appbackr Team Up to Provide a Calibrated Incentive Program to Bring Apps to Tizen
2013-11: Tizen publishing support
2013-12: Tizen Cookbook and Release Notes
- Website: http://gamesalad.com/
- Tizen Publishing: http://help.gamesalad.com/windows-cookbook/publishing/tizen-publishing/
HTML5 Game Engines
- The cream of the crop of WebGL game engines: http://html5gameengine.com/tag/webgl
- Measuring Performance
- HTML5 Tools
Ludei - CocoonJS
- Website: http://www.ludei.com/
2012-09: The HTML5 Game Sponsorship Market
2013-05: An Indie Game Developer’s Marketing Checklist.
2013-08: How to promote your app.
2013-08: Compelling openings, friend invites drive casual game success, say devs
2013-09: Where pipelines and workflows go next
2013-09: One game, multiple skins
2013-11: (video) 10 Things Every Developer Should Know. What sponsors / portals expect from HTML5 mobile game developers and what to avoid when negotiating and managing a licensing deal with them. In addition, this session highlighted the importance of picking the right business model and how to create HTML5 games to satisfy the licensee's needs.
2013-12: (video) Creating cross platform games with one HTML5 code base
2014-01: Tips and tricks to build your audience and sell smarter
2014-03: Monetization Stack
2014-03: Performative Game Development
2014-04: A guide to building your app business
2014-04: A Simple Test of Leadership
2014-04: User Testing with Limited Resources
2014-05: If you’re an indie developer, don’t make multiplayer games.
2014-07: The mobile web: Removing the restrictions of app stores
2014-08: A Foreigner's Guide to Digital China
2014-08: Why you should consider a soft launch for your mobile app
2015-02: US mobile game revenues will grow 16.5% this year to reach $3.04 billion. Mobile games will account for 30.9% of the US mobile content market in 2015, up from 29.3% in 2014
2015-07: Why you need to build your game's community months before it's released
- Open Web: Search Engine Optimization, eCommerce
- Tizen Store, Appbackr, Chrome, Electron
- Mobile Carriers, Media Properties, Game Portals
- Social Networks: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc
- Blogs: Tizen Experts, Best Tizen Apps
Nintendo Wii U
2013-03: Nintendo's indies guy tells you how to get your games approved
2013-04: Console giant looks to HTML5 and Unity developers to expand Wii U software range
2013-08: Nintendo shares more details on Wii U Web Framework dev tools (WebGL is not supported; dev kits can be loaned for six months and after that you can either return it or purchase it.)
2014-01: HTML5 Developer Interview
2014-01: Announcing Construct 2 support for Wii U
2014-02: Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata: Nintendo console development should be like mobile
2014-06: Analysis: The Nintendo bubble
2015-03: "Development of smart device games will be mainly done by Nintendo, but it is significant that we are forming a joint development structure with DeNA"
2015-09: Nintendo joins graphics standards body Khronos Group (Vulkan API)
2015-12: Exclusive: Nintendo’s New President on the Icon’s Future
- Website: https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/
- Presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnAB3od6bmI
2013-10: OpenAL Integration in Tizen
2013-12: We are happy to announce that OpenFL 1.2 is now available, and includes a brand-new platform target, Tizen
2013-12: Let’s clarify Haxe and OpenFL
2014-03: Flash is dead, long live OpenFL !
2014-03: Today, we are announcing a new OpenFL HTML5 backend, based around pixi.js
2015-09: Where have all the Flash developers gone ?
- Documentation: http://www.openfl.org/documentation/setup/platforms/setup-tizen/
- Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/openfl
2014-03: Reach3dx is a new, full-featured 3D game engine which provides cross-platform support for HTML5, iOS, Android and Tizen. Based on the OpenFL framework and Haxe, Reach3dx facilitates a creative environment highly familiar to the existing development community. Reach3dx presents a new solution to reliable HTML5 web support, high performance and native user experience on mobile.
- Website: http://reach3dx.com/
Steam and Tizen, the Linux brothers
Steam OS and Tizen will be the two major Linux gaming platforms, both based on Vulkan
2014-03: Recent changes and support from gaming's biggest companies is making Linux a viable option for developers
2015-03: Steam is far from perfect. But it still offers better opportunities for an up-and-coming indie developer than any other platform.
2015-09: Valve recommends developers choose Vulkan over DirectX 12
- Website: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/
- Steamworks: https://partner.steamgames.com/
- Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight
- Steam OS Games - Top Sellers: http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/
- Steam Database - Linux Games: http://steamdb.info/linux/
- GitHub: https://github.com/ValveSoftware
- Game Programming Patterns: http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/index.html
2014-02: Q4 2013: Samsung Global Smart TV Market Share Reaches 26 Percent, LG and Sony Follow at 14 Percent Each
2014-03: Samsung Working With Startup Partners To Add Gesture-Based Smart Home Control To TVs
2014-04: Second screen usage during major TV broadcast events and programs is exploding in 2014
2014-08: Unity for Samsung Smart TV, compatible with 2013 - 2014 models
2015-01: All of Samsung Smart TVs in 2015 will be equipped with its new platform built around Tizen
2015-01: Samsung set to sell 30 million Tizen TVs in 2015
NEW 2015-09: Introduction to Tizen TV SDK (PDF)
2015-10: Smart TVs will become the next game platform and the market will grow rapidly
- Introduction, Forum
- HTML5 score: TVs have a better score than some desktop browsers; Samsung TVs support WebGL.
- Gamepad W3C, Xbox controller
2013-05: Unity announced upcoming support for Tizen. The deployment tools currently under development will allow Unity's massive community of developers to build and publish games to Tizen smartphones and tablets via the Tizen Store later this year.
2013-05: Tizen Conference: Ubiquitousness: It's Everywhere (PDF)
2013-10: From Unity to Three.js - Demo
2014-08: Unity for Samsung Smart TV, compatible with 2013 - 2014 models
2015-08: Architecting Games in Unity with Best Practices (video)
- Website: http://unity3d.com/pages/samsung/
- Samsung Smart TV Forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/samsung-smart-tv.66/
- Samsung Smart TV Manual: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/samsungtv.html
- Tizen Forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/tizen.88/
- Tizen Manual: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/tizen.html
- In App Purchase: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/40219
Vector (text, voice, video)
2015-08: Vector is a new, fully open source communication and collaboration tool we’ve developed that’s open, secure and interoperable. Based on the concept of rooms and participants, it combines a great user interface with all core functions we need (chat, file transfer, VoIP and video), in one tool. Vector is built on webRTC and the open Matrix protocol from the Matrix.org foundation.
- Chat with the Matrix/Vector devs in the browser: https://vector.im/beta/#/room/#freenode_#matrix:matrix.org
- Vector on Github: https://github.com/vector-im/vector-web
- Matrix on Github: https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse
WebAssembly or wasm is a new portable, size- and load-time-efficient format suitable for compilation to the web.
- Overview: http://webassembly.github.io/
2013-07: Tons of developers think that WebGL is for 3D only, but we think that in truth, WebGL is a very convenient way of accessing low level graphic capabilities from web technologies. In this sense, WebGL could be used for both 2D and 3D game and app development offering a much more powerful approach both performance-wise and features-wise.
2014-09: HTML5 Game Performance on iOS 8
2015-05: Rendering HTML with WebGL
2015-08: Introducing Four: It’s WebGL, but Easier
2015-11: Rain and Water Effect Experiments
Support has been announced for Tizen 3.0 (see also: Crosswalk)
2014-03: 10 Things You Need to Know About the Future of WebRTC
2014-03: Just how disruptive are WebRTC CDNs ? Either to established players, or to mobile networks ?
2014-03: Design and implementation of a WebRTC client sample application running on a mobile device or external location outside of the server.
2014-04: Multiplayer online games with Data Channel
2014-07: A video call application using WebRTC and Crosswalk
2014-10: Microsoft now definitely supporting ORTC / WebRTC
2014-11: Matrix and webRTC
2014-12: Learnings and challenges when running WebRTC on mobile devices
2015-01: The State of WebRTC
2015-04: The WebRTC Troubleshooter: test.webrtc.org
2015-04: WhatsApp vs webRTC
2015-08: Gaming with the WebRTC DataChannel
2015-12: Smooth and instant streaming in the browser powered by BitTorrent’s core technology